Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Day 89-100: Greek islands


My nearly two week long weekend in the Greek islands was just a perfect way to end the international trek I've been on. Cloudless skies, clear waters, reflection time, more new friends, no schedule and a few adult beverages.

I was on the islands of Corfu, Ios and Mykonos for 4, 5, 2 nights respectively with an overnight bus to Athens too.

Corfu- stayed in The Pink Palace, a legendary hostel that, although I believe it's past it's prime still made for a good ridiculous time. Activities/festivities consisted of everything from sea kayaking to booze cruising to cliff jumping to organized volleyball drinking games to toga parties. It was a much more structured hostel experience than most places I've stayed (free community bfast and dinner, isolated, everything you need right there, don't need to leave hostel resort/beach) but I definitely liked not having to make many decisions for a few days.

Ios- stayed at Francesco's, one of my favorite hostels for sure in one of my favorite places I've been to yet. Close proximity to nightlife, easy to meet people, relaxing pool, affordable. It was the time on this beautiful, fun island that felt like the cap/end to my post grad summer adventures, allowing me to return to the US content and happy with the outcome of the whole trip.

Mykonos- For going in with absolutely no expectations it ended up being a blast- pleasant beach time, music nonstop, hanging out with Australians, Macedonians, Canadians and Frenchies. A few of us went to Cavo Paradiso, a sweet club right on the beach, on my last night. It was amazing there- the club was half indoor, half outdoor with an incredible view of the moonlit sea all around. Just a great last European nightlife memory- encapsulating the beauty of the beach/island/sea and club culture in one spot. Not sure how it happened but I somehow ended up on the VIP balcony section with unlimited (free) rose/Moët and grey goose courtesy of the club owner. Like I said, not sure how it happened but it did. Maybe it was the half unbuttoned party shirt?

Few closing notes for the international chapters of this blog-

Internet really has changed the game for traveling and relationships built through. Before Facebook (and email), it just wasn't nearly as simple to stay in touch with good (or potential) friends you meet while traveling. Nowadays, it's a name exchange and a Facebook add and suddenly you can stay connected with those you had some of the best experiences of your life with. I mean there are definitely connections that will fade out and people you never hear from again. However, there are others you might actually meet up with again, whether in other travel endeavors or visiting. This could be a few months down the rode, or in an unforeseen few years. I hope that some of the awesome people I met this trip throw Boston on their itinerary when they come travel the US or at least reach out to me about other places to go within my home country (as the same resources will be available to me on future travel expeditions).

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed every day and every moment of my trip but by the end I couldn't help but be a bit excited to get back to the states to reunite with friends and partake in some quality family time in Colorado. With it dawning on me that the travels I worked so hard to set up and make work within my post grad path are ending, there is also the excitement of taking the next step forward- clearly a bittersweet moment. Or for those that know me, a classic time for the sad winky face emoticon... ; (

No comments:

Post a Comment