Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 68-88: The London 2012 Olympics

The Olympics happened, wow. A month in London flew by. Here's a highlight reel- I was blessed/lucky/fortunate enough to be at these happenings (in no order)

-4 USA swimming golds in 4 events (thanks phelps/missy frank)
-Mexico Brazil football final (Determination and heart won this match)
-metropolis studios tour/recording (especially neat after taking courses on music history/production in college)
-closing (Never in my life have I received more chills than this)
-USA basketball gold medal hunt from quarterfinals to podium
-Usain Bolt 100m Finals victory (sub 10 seconds of excitement)
-Women's beach vball (amazing venue, great views of London, fun atmosphere, lotsa talent)
-parties- NBC, Oakley, Budweiser, Lulu lemon

What I've seen and done is priceless- no party no place no nothing can match it. Attached a few pics (most are on inaccessible phone at the moment). Memorable experience. A month and done. Which brings me closer to the real world but the Greek islands for now, absorbing some rays, and reflecting some thoughts (corny or well worded?).

This working experience was great for me to get prepared for my full time job with IBM starting in October. Sure, there is a significant difference between holding a lollipop sign to direct guests around and making real business decisions for large companies and working with them towards solutions, but there are similarities- getting into the 15 min early mentality, real life time management (incorporating work outs, meals, errands, sleep and social outings into your schedule) and getting comfortable in new work environments. With Coca-Cola, I was dealing with different guests and coworkers everyday. At IBM, I'll be dealing with different clients and coworkers every project. Learning how to adjust to the clientele has proven to be of extreme importance to me in the past, and this will clearly transfer into the business world. I've started to realize that traveling has helped me quickly adjust and relate to people from near everywhere in the world. Have I been to everywhere in the world? No. But I have been some places and met people from all around, heard their stories of different places. This is travel networking, which makes traveling easier, better and more rewarding.

Networking is important in business. Nothing new there. But networking isn't a term solely associated with business. Networking is important in all aspects of life and doesn't need to have financial goals.

Some of my best travel experiences have been a result of recommendations from other travelers I "networked" with. On this trip, it was other travelers that landed me on a small plane 13,000 feet up skydiving in the Swiss Alps, staying in a legendary hostel in Interlaken. It was a handful telling me to go explore the islands of Croatia, the hidden gem of Europe.

Through travel networking, you can end up with places to stay in Chile, Sweden, Great Britain, Canada, Singapore, Australia and cool Guests visiting you if they act on the offer first (shout out to Matty visiting Chapel Hill.. Twice). This type of networking isn't about eventually making money, but more saving it and efficiently allocating it within travel time.

Traveling is awesome and lots can be learned from it just as lots can be learned in a classroom or office. I've traveled a lot the past couple years. I'm about to be in the business world (at least) a couple years. Given the way i have played out the last couple years, I'm going to use what I've learned traveling in the business world and see how it goes. But for now I'm going to a toga party in Corfu, Greece (recommended hostel) so Yamas! (cheers)

No comments:

Post a Comment