Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 60: Coca-Cola happiness, Colorado sadness

Today was a weird day for me, with highs and lows occurring simultaneously. I woke up this morning pumped to start orientation for my Coca Cola Global Hospitality job at the Olympics- showered and showed up an appropriate 15 minutes early to pre-registration breakfast. Before the program starts I take a chance to check Twitter. "Thinking about everyone in Colorado" from Erin Andrews is at the top of my timeline. This of course raises questions in my head- what happened? I refresh the page and BBCnews (London news source in close proximity) already has a story/link about the tragic unfortunate awful random theatre shooting in Aurora at the "Dark Knight Rises" midnight showing, 45 minutes from my home. What? 12-14 were shot dead? 50-60 more wounded? Young people that just wanted to have a fun late night at the movies with friends and/or family?

Orientation starts. Phone away. Thoughts still there. People back home were home still unaware of the happenings (about 3am Colorado time). Families were being informed of relative casualties. This could have happened anywhere, to any family, any family that had a kid, or parent, that loved the story of Batman.

I couldn't be more excited about the opportunity I have in front of me to serve Coca-Cola's VIP clients/ guests and do what I can to create an amazing international experience for them at the London Olympics this summer. It was great finally seeing the Coca-Cola Family together and learning more about my duties / the plan this summer. But Aurora, Colorado, affected families, those that lost lives and dreams were all on my mind.

I was able to periodically check social media sites throughout the day and I appreciate those that reached out to me to make sure my family was okay. Fortunately they are but others are not.

After work I went to find a gym, debrief the day, regroup, etc. Sure enough, right next to the Pump-up work-out music videos was another tv with breaking news of the Denver shootings. Had a home(hostel)-cooked stir-fry meal for dinner with the sis and friends then stayed in tonight to reflect on this day I just had.. Had lots of moments of silence today. It's always good to slowdown and reflect, just unfortunate it had to be under these circumstances.

I'm planning on getting back to it best I can tomorrow. Thoughts and prayers to all affected from this unfair occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment